Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sounds of breeding egrets

Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis) with nesting material

Earlier this month I was on a field trip based around Zahara de los Atunes in south west Spain. One morning before breakfast I was able to visit a growing heronry/rookery with an estimated 400 pairs of Cattle Egrets, 10's of pairs of Little Egret, and around 10 pairs of Glossy Ibis, all busy incubating or nest-building. A number of Black-crowned Night Herons are probably breeding there too though are a lot more elusive and crepuscular. Spoonbills were also observed flying low over this breeding colony. I had my short/slow lens with me but managed some records shots (the light is great this far south!). I also made some sound recordings of both Cattle and Little Egrets. These are normally fairly silent birds - that is until you hear them en masse at a breeding colony!


Little Egret (Egretta garzetta)




Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis)




Eurasian Spoonbill (Platalea leucorodia)

Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax)

No comments: